Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Musing - Enid

I love to read and like so many people Enid Blyton gave me my first adventures into the wonderful world of books. So much so I remember being forced to consider that there were other authors out there that might be worth my attention! As a parent, I now love it when my children get excited about the same books I loved when I was their age. Many of these, of course, are Enid Blyton books. As these stories are one of the things that make England one of my dream destinations, I thought this was appropriate place to blog about her!



One of my friends suggested I watch the movie "Enid" starring Helen Bonham Carter.Helen Bonham Carter never would have been the person I would have imagined as Enid Blyton. She was brilliant as always. Although I wasn't expecting quite so much of the 'Red Queen' feel to come through.

Be warned! The movie is very much based on Enid Blyton's life and not on her books and is not a cozy ginger-beer drinking, midnight-feasting, adventure story complete with pixies and eccentric French mistress and a mystery to solve. The movie shows a different side to the still popular author and if you think it will alter your view of books don't watch it. However if you are enjoy biographies you will like this movie. It is important to note it is a movie based on true events and of course the writers have exercised poetic license.

While the insight into the private life of Enid Blyton might not have been one I was expecting, I love biographies and enjoyed the movie. And my love of her books has certainly not changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment